Monday, March 5, 2012

Lent . . . always a learning experience

Typically for Lent, I try to give up something (usually related to the senses--mine can use constant mortification), add something (usually a neglected spiritual practice), and do something together with my husband (either a sacrifice or addition). 

This was a pattern I began in college when my best friend and roommate, Therese, and I would be accountability partners during this time of focused growth and change.  The trick was, we would each choose our own addition, we picked our "together" one in tandem, but our mortification would be told to us by the other person on Ash Wednesday.  That was tough.  Therese had a knack for knowing when I was using music to block out stresses in my life instead of turning to prayer and silence (Give up music!) or when I was applying a bit more eye-makeup as I was becoming interested in my future spouse (Give up make-up!)  I was pretty bitter about that second one.  I had 101 objections about how it was unprofessional to be teaching high school (I looked young for my age too) without a bit of make-up, etc.  She just said, "Listen to yourself.  You sound a little attached to me."  [Thanks Miss Perfect Complexion who never wears make-up in the first place!]  She was right.  And I didn't scare Larry away with my unadorned face.  I only found out much later that he actually likes when girls only wear natural make-up at most.

Usually, my biggest sacrifices during Lent have been interior--relationships put on hold, strained, or removed from my life, adjustments during pregnancy (and soon birth!), family difficulties, etc.  I find that all the other prayers and forms of fast become a true support toward my ability to handle offer up those interior struggles.  God is so good at providing the graces needed when we are sensitive to His promptings and movements within our lives.

I have also realized, that Lent is a funny thing for Catholics.  On one hand it can be intensely interior; but on the other, it is a public observance of a sacrificial season.  I think one of the biggest challenges can be to witness without offense--"Thanks for baking me these cookies, but I gave up sweets for Lent."  This article on National Catholic Register made me laugh so hard as the author recognized how real this dichotomy of joyful sacrifice can be for us.  [In fact, I really like this writer in general--great sense of humor and realism.]

Of course, you can always just pray the Litany of Humility every day, and Christ will take care of making sure you have "opportunities for practicing virtue" in your day.  He takes that prayer pretty literally.

Finally, this is my new favorite Lenten prayer.  It is from the Orthodox liturgy, and one of my students introduced me to it.

Prayer of St. Ephrem

Lord and Master of my life
Spare me from the spirit of indifference, despair
Lust for power and idle chatter.

Instead, bestow on me, your servant,
The spirit of integrity, humility, patience and love.

Yes, O Lord and King,
Let me see my own sins,
And not judge my brothers and sisters,
For you are blessed, forever and ever.  Amen

Image source

1 comment:

Michele said...

This post made me smile, remembering Therese and your joint Lent. Three cheers for adding the prayer of St. Ephrem:) I find it very moving. It is traditionally prayed with prostrations (like fetal position, not flat out on the ground) after each section....helps the prayer hit home even more - you know, the whole body-soul dynamic.