Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Efficiency in Storms and Doldrums

The kids both went down for naps at nearly the same time today.  I feel giddy.  I could accomplish so much!  Or I could relax.  Or I could blog, which is a type of relaxing that feels more justified because it's a little closer to the work category than watching an episode of Psych.

My newest tool for efficiency (and sanity) is making mini-mental check-lists on a timer.  That's a nonsensical way of saying that I do the following:

DURING NAPS:
I pick 2-4 tasks that I want to complete before they wake up.  If I get done early, I get to relax.  If I don't, well, we just all try to get through pit-hour as best we can.

DURING THE MOMENTS WHEN EVERYONE'S CRYING (and I'm crying on the inside):
First, I step out of the room, say a quick prayer (like, "God!!!!!! Seriously?!?!"), and remind myself that I'm forming souls to be saints, not single-handedly entering a war zone of whining enemy soldiers with deadly, under-the-foot-matchbox-car land mines strategically waiting my return.

Then, I make a game plan for dealing with needs and then wants, in that order, for the next 5 minutes.
--Drink a glass of water (like a shot) b/c it feels like a headache is coming on and when was the last time I hydrated anyways?
--Go bring JT to timeout for not listening after a warning and for trying to climb the window shades while throwing various objects in the general direction of his sister.
--Get MJ her bottle.
--Pull out meat from the freezer for dinner tonight before I forget for the 8th time.

Ta-da!  I finish that and survive the minor crisis.  I haven't fainted.  JT is contemplating his actions and his impending apology (or contemplating his mortality, depending on how patient I was while lecturing him on the way to timeout) in his room with his blankie.  MJ has a happy tummy.  And my husband will not be faced with mac & cheese for dinner tonight.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Don't worry--it gets easier with two. Now, I just run on auto-pilot...most of the time. ;) Just keep those prayers going and it will ease up. :)