Friday, December 2, 2011

Language and Liturgy

This week marked the introduction of an over-due, full translation of the Latin into the vernacular English for the Catholic Mass.  I love the depth and beauty of the new language!  Responding to "Peace be with you," by saying, "And with your spirit," (instead of "And also with you") immediately helps me to focus on the fact that Christ's peace is interior and transcendent--a matter of the spirit--not a vague hope for physical comfort.

I've often heard the matter of language within liturgy and prayer debated.  Some will look to Christ's parable which contrasts the eloquent, boastful rabbi vs. the simple, sincere sinner and say that all prayer should be simple and child-like.  Christ Himself said that we must be like little children to enter the Kingdom of God.  Yet, while I would agree that rhetorical value is not to be valued over authenticity within prayer, I also think that beauty (including beauty of language) and specificity in the portrayal of truth can be an aid to prayer by engaging our emotions and our intellect in our worship.  I enjoyed some of the reflections of Fr. DeSouza on this topic.  He compares the following prayers:


For example, at Mass today we have this properly translated prayer: Stir up your power, O Lord, and come to our help with mighty strength, that what our sins impede the grace of your mercy may hasten. Compare that to the previous version: Father, we need your help. Free us from sin and bring us to life. Support us by your power.

The new translation is INFINITELY superior for reflection. I think I could use just that prayer for my reflection for the whole day . . . the power of God, His desire to assist us in our weakness, the way our iniquities prevent us from receiving His grace . . .  The first one gives me my same old complaints, a vague concept of sin vs. life, and a line about God's strength that sounds equally applicable to a Spanx commercial.  Thank God for the people who have diligently worked over the course of several years so that we could be drawn into deeper contemplation of the mysteries of our Faith!

Image source

No comments: